First Prize $2000
Highly Commended $500
The Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra (SHSO) is proud to announce a competition for an original orchestral work sponsored by one of our distinguished patrons, Ann Carr-Boyd AM.
The Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra was formed in 2014 as a result of overwhelming interest in establishing a symphony orchestra in the region. The SHSO has become a significant feature of the cultural life of the Southern Highlands.
The winning composition and the highly commended prize will be performed at the SHSO Gala Event on Saturday 30th June and Sunday 1st July 2018.
- The applicant must live in the following locations: Southern Highlands, Goulburn, Nowra, Illawarra, Kiama, Kangaroo Valley, Camden, Picton, Wollongong
In addition, any former student from these districts who is now at a tertiary institution outside these areas may also enter the competition.
- The composition is open to all ages.
- Orchestration: The composition should be of approximately five-minutes duration and for full orchestra. It may also be for a solo instrument/s with orchestra.
Instrumentation: piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, timpani, percussion: bass drum, triangle, cymbals, glockenspiel, xylophone, tambourine, snare drum, not all of which must be included. All strings.
- Musical style: The work should be accessible i.e. playable & show knowledge of orchestral instruments.
- Presentation: The score should be in Sibelius, Finale or a PDF format. The score should also be presented on three MP3s as well as three hard copies. These will be required for the judges.
NOTE: The name of the applicant must not be written on the score or hard copies. Each entrant will be provided with a number when the composer application is received.
Please ensure your name, address/email and phone details are included in the application.
- Judges: The judges for the competition are:
Ann Carr-Boyd AM,
Dr Andrew Ford OAM
Dr Allan Stiles
- How to apply: Download Application Form here
All entries should be sent to:
Composer Competition,The Southern Highlands
Symphony Orchestra Inc.
PO Box 997, Bowral 2576 NSW
- Closing date for entries:
28th February 2018
- Winner notification: The winner and highly commended prize will be notified mid March.
Adjudication decisions are final.
No correspondence will be entered into.
The successful compositions will be performed in the Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra’s Series 2 Gala Concerts on 30th June and 1st July 2018.
All instrument parts must be sent to: The Librarian, Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra, PO Box 997, Bowral by 25th April, 2018.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0416 380 567
Scores and parts will be returned following the competition.
Persons under the age of 18 should have approval from parent/guardian.