Join the orchestra
If you are a musician of AMEB grade 6 or higher and would like to join the orchestra, we would love to hear from you. There are no formal auditions.
You will meet a great group of musicians. Players come from all around the Southern Highlands and as far afield as Wollongong, Goulburn and Campbelltown. We have a wide age range – from students through to retirees – and professions including IT, law, medicine, media, teaching and publishing. They come together at SHSO for some seriously enjoyable music making. Enquiries to join are always welcome.
Each concert series has a tight rehearsal schedule. So that we perform at our best, players are expected to:
- Be available for rehearsals
- Be seated and ready to play by the starting time of each rehearsal and concerts
- Inform us well in advance of any rehearsal you cannot attend
- Assist with setting up and packing up at rehearsal and concert venue
- Carry out private practice between rehearsals.
We rehearse on Sundays from 7.00pm to 9.00pm
At Bowral Memorial Hall, Bendooley Street, Bowral NSW 2576
Become a friend of the orchestra
As a community orchestra we welcome extra help to ensure that we run smoothly and successfully. As a friend of SHSO, you will receive the satisfaction of being a part of our thriving musical community.
Some essential areas we need assistance in are:
- At concerts – setting up the foyer, managing concert tickets, serving refreshments and ushering.
- Helping to set up and pack up before and after concerts.
- Publicity, Marketing – distributing posters and leaflets.
You can help contribute to our ongoing success by making a donation in support of the orchestra generally, or tying your donation to a particular activity of the orchestra.
For example, recent donations have helped us purchase a special new timpano which will be used by 2 other groups as well as the SHSO, enabling us all to play a wider range of music.
Donations over $2 are fully tax deductible.
There are many opportunities for interested businesses or individuals to support the orchestra and in doing so, reach an audience of music lovers, arts patrons and all kinds of community members.
Sponsorship could take the form of an ongoing commitment to the orchestra or a one-off event.
Sponsorship opportunities include:
- A concert season
- A single concert
- An item in a concert eg: a violin concerto or a special musical instrument for a performance
- An orchestral chair eg: double bass or other essential instrument.
There are opportunities to advertise in our concert programs.
Join our mailing list
Keep updated about all our concerts and events by joining our mailing list. Please complete the form and include Mailing List in the subject field here.