The Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra (SHSO) is proud to announce a competition for an original orchestral work, sponsored by one of our distinguished patrons, Ann Carr-Boyd AM.
The Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra was formed in 2014 as a result of overwhelming interest in establishing a symphony orchestra in the region. The SHSO has become a significant feature of the cultural life of the Southern Highlands.
The winning composition will be performed at the SHSO Concerts on Saturday 19th September & Sunday 20th September 2020.
The closing date for competition entries to be received is 30th May 2020.
1. The applicant must live in one of the following locations: Southern Highlands, Goulburn, Nowra, Illawarra, Kiama, Kangaroo Valley, Camden, Picton or Wollongong.
In addition, any former student from these districts who is now at a tertiary institution outside these areas may also enter the competition.
2. The composition is open to all ages.
3. Orchestration: The composition should be of approximately five-minutes duration and for full orchestra. It may also be for a solo instrument/s (except piano and organ) with orchestra.
Instrumentation: piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, timpani, 2 percussionists: (bass drum, triangle, cymbals, glockenspiel, tubular bells, xylophone, tambourine, snare drum not all of which must be included.) All strings.
4. Musical style: The work should be accessible i.e. playable and show knowledge of orchestral instruments.
5. Presentation: The score must be in Sibelius or Finale. The score must also be presented on four MP3s as well as four hard copies. These will be required for the judges.
NOTE: The name of the applicant must not be written on the scores or MP3s. Each entrant will be provided with a number when the composer application is received.
Please ensure your name, address/email and phone details are included in the application.
6. Judges: The judges for the competition are:
Ann Carr-Boyd AM, – Patron
Dr Andrew Ford OAM – Patron
Dr Allan Stiles – Artistic Director
Jillian Bridge – Concert Master
7. How to apply: Application forms are available at www.shso.org.au
All entries should be sent to:
Composer Competition, The Southern
Highlands Symphony Orchestra Inc.
PO Box 997, Bowral 2576 NSW
8. Closing date for receipt of compositions:
30th May 2020
9. Winner notification: The winners of the first prize and second prize will be notified end of June, 2020.
Adjudication decisions are final.
No correspondence will be entered into.
The first prize composition will be performed in the Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra’s Series 3 Concerts on dates 19th and 20th September 2020.
The winner of the first prize will be required to send all instrumental parts to: The Librarian, Southern Highlands Symphony Orchestra, PO Box 997, Bowral by 20th July, 2020.
For more information contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0416380567
One score and parts will be retained.
Scores and parts will be returned following the competition.
Persons under the age of 18 should have approval from parent/guardian.